The most precious and important equipment to a goalkeeper is his gloves. But then, they can get dirty, smelly, and nasty very quickly. To make matters worse, goalkeepers’ gloves are not designed to breathe and this leads to the building up of sweat and bacteria in the goalie gloves.
Using your gloves while it is dirty will drastically reduce its lifespan, spread bacteria, and illness. So if you don’t know how to wash goalkeeper’s gloves, you need to learn.
Not sure how to wash a goalkeeper’s gloves? No worries, we`ve got you covered.
Read on to discover the most effective yet simple care tips that will help you wash your gloves thus extending their life span.
HOW TO CLEAN YOUR GOALKEEPERS GLOVES IN 5 EASY STEPS
- WASH THEM AT THE RIGHT TIME – If you want your gloves to always be in perfect condition then you have to ensure you always wash the gloves immediately after use. Experts recommend that you do so in the warm water of around 30o C.
- ALWAYS HAND WASH – As a rule of thumb, gloves last longer when washed with hands. Even if you are tired after training or match, it better to wash with hands instead of using a washing machine. It best to use your thumb to gently scrub off dirt so your gloves become sparkling clean.
- SOAK THE GLOVES – Soaking your gloves in a gentle cleaning solution has been proven to be a great way to clean them. You can soak the goalkeeper’s gloves in a tub, sink, or large bowl with warm water. Soaking a goalkeeper’s gloves with warm water prevents the gloves from shrinkage.
After putting them in a tub or bowl, next is to add a little quantity of detergent and a half cup of vinegar.
The soap helps to remove any stains and sweat while the vinegar kills off any bacteria that can cause the gloves to smell.
- RINSE THE GLOVES WITH COLD WATER – After soaking the gloves for some time, you have to rinse them. While it’s not recommended to wash gloves with a solution, you need to rinse off any solution you`ve used to wash the gloves as leaving gloves in a solution could potentially damage the goalkeeper`s gloves.
One benefit of rinsing gloves in cold water is that it restores the breathability of the synthetic fabric material used to make the gloves.
- DRY THE GLOVES NATURALLY – It’s usually best to leave your gloves to dry naturally for about a day. Do not squeeze out water from the gloves after washing and rinsing to make them dry faster. . Just a simple pat on the gloves will remove excess moisture. Want to know how you can make your gloves dry faster? Read on.
HOW TO MAKE YOUR GOALKEEPER`S GLOVES DRY FASTER?
To be honest, if you want your gloves to last longer, you will need to avoid going to the extreme in other to dry your gloves. As a best practice, your gloves will dry faster if you use the following methods after washing.
- After washing, just a simple pat on the gloves will remove excess moisture thus making it dry faster.
- After washing, get a towel, put the gloves in it, and apply pressure with the towel. This will let the towel soak up excess water from the gloves. In this way, the goalkeeper`s gloves will dry faster.
THINGS TO AVOID WHEN WASHING, A GOALKEEPER`S GLOVE
- Do not scrub your gloves with a brush or scrubber as applying too much pressure when washing the goalkeeper`s gloves can tear the latest material used to produce the glove.
- Even though you are tired, don’t wash the goalkeeper`s gloves in a washing machine.
- Make sure you properly rinse off all glove cleaners from the gloves. Glove cleaners left on the gloves can cause more damage than good.
THINGS TO AVOID WHEN DRYING A GOALKEEPERS GLOVE
- Do not try to dry your gloves with direct sunlight, using an iron, using a tumble dryer, using fire, or trying to wriggle them out. Using any of these methods will cause severe damage to your gloves.
- When drying your gloves, make sure the palms of your gloves are not touching as this could make the palms stick together.
- Don`t just put your gloves inside a bag. Use a goalkeeper`s glove wallet to keep your gloves protected when traveling.
- Avoid putting your gloves away without washing them after use.
The method you employ to wash your gloves can either make them last longer or damage them very quickly. Follow the instructions stated above to wash your gloves as well as observe the precations stated there.
Love this article? Feel free to give us a-like as well as share this article on social media.